I Can Feel The Skunk Stripe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Can Feel The Skunk Stripe?

On my pro mod. I used some 0000 steel wool on the neck and its super smooth except for the walnut stripe. Should I just keep going? Get something finer?

Can you get any finer than 0000 steel wool?
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Maybe you could rub it with a really hot chick? :dunno:

How do you mean you can feel it, Isaac, like, there is a raised edge around it, or it just feels a little rougher than everything else?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Maybe you could rub it with a really hot chick? :dunno:
        squish.jpg

She charges $200, but she gets the fret ends for you too...

Comment

Yum, Anyways... its rougher than the maple around it. I looked closer and there are some grain lines in the walnut that are fairly deep for a neck. I'm thinking grain filler, and then just sand it back down. I'd rather not if theres a better solution though.

Comment

If its a brand new guitar, wait a few weeks for the wood to settle in.

After that you could use 1000 or 2000 grit sand paper to get out any roughness, followed by 0000 steel wool. In the end the rosewood skunk strip will always have a different texture from the maple, but it should almost un-noticable.

Originally posted by Isaac View Post
            On my pro mod. I used some 0000 steel wool on the neck and its super smooth except for the walnut stripe. Should I just keep going? Get something finer?

Comment

What type of guitar is it? Is it gun stock oil? If it is you can use Birchwood Casey Gunstock Tru-oil to fill the grain. Apply it with your finger and after it dries in a few hours lightly sand it with 00 steel wool. Apply more than one coat to fill the grain if necessary. A small bottle costs $5 at Gander Mountain. I would try this before sanding anything.

Comment

I'd leave it alone. That wood is a lot softer than the maple and you might just make it worse. It's pretty thin and has come out on a least one promod(small portion anyway).

Comment

It's gunstock oil. It'll fill the grain?

Comment

Yep, a few more coats of Tru Oil on the skunk stripe and then blend it using light strokes with a new green Scotch Brite pad, then polish with a new, nice grey Scotch Brite pad is what I would do, it should get really nice and slick.

You can also use steel wool but I just like to use Scotch Brite because then I don't have to worry about the metal fragments getting in the pickups.

Comment

It's gunstock oil. It'll fill the grain?
                      Yes, it will build up with a few coats. Use trial and error as to how many coats it will take to do the job. Light sanding in between coats removes dust from the finish. After sanding the final coat use wax to add shine. It's the easiest product I've ever used to apply a finish.

I'd try this first. If it works you won't have to sand/remove wood from the guitar neck.

Comment

I had a red SoCal for a week, and traded it for an SD-1 HSS...the So Cal that I had had the same problem. I never got a chance to try and get that 'fixed'...but it just felt like the stripe was raised above the rest of the back of the neck...and it was pretty uncomfortable. Had I not found another guitar that I liked better anyway, I might have demanded that the music store fix it..or replace it. It definitely bothered me. Sorry I don't have a solution..other than to trade the guitar if it's still in the exchange period
                        Todd M

Comment

It's used. I'll try the gunstock oil. Any more tips on applying it? What brand?

Comment

What brand?
                            Birchwood Casey Gunstock Tru-oil

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]931[/ATTACH]

She charges $200, but she gets the fret ends for you too...
                              Hmmmm, my RR1 has some fret ends that could use some attention. A LCP and a happy ending could be just what the doctor ordered...
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X