Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel So-Cal vs. San Dimas 1-2H. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel So-Cal vs. San Dimas 1-2H. Any thoughts?

I'm finally going to get around to getting one (or maybe more) of the Pro Mods, since I've recently acquired a fondness for hot-rod strats.

I'm sure there have been a zillion threads on this, but I couldn't readily find one directly on point. Basically, for people who have owned both the So-Cal and San Dimas Type 1, which one do you like better, and why?

This past weekend, I had the chance to try both at Chuck Levin's here in D.C., and my impression is that the SD-1 has a brighter, edgier sound, while the So-Cal (presumably due to the Strat-style routing) has a warmer, more resonant sound. Does this seem to be the case generally? I didn't have a bunch of different ones to try out.

One thing that alarmed me a bit was that the neck/fret quality on all three Pro Mods at Chuck Levin's (they also had a SD Tele) differed radically. Since I will probably have to order one over the Internet to get the slime green finish I desire, I'm a little wary of what I will end up getting. The So Cal that Chuck Levin's has in stock is fantastic all the way around, and if it was something other than basic black, I probably would have bought it then and there.

Anyhoo, all help would be much appreciated.

Actually I have the opposite impression. I own one of each (a 1st batch candy tangerine SoCal and a blue flame last batch San Dimas). The SD1 is much warmer. The SoCal is a lot more edgier. to my ears at least. I attribute this to the Seymour Duncan vs Dimarzio's more than anything else since the neck/body woods are identical.

quality on both of mine are top notch. The only difference is the blue flame has a much nicer grain pattern on the fretboard. Perhaps they cherry picked a better piece of wood for that since it was a limited edition model?

pics of mine:
    Last edited by maltomario; 07-20-2010, 03:09 PM.
    Proud endorser of:
    Steve Clayton Inc. http://www.steveclayton.com
    GLS Audio http://www.glsaudio.com
    Orange County Speaker http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Comment

Do they sound different unplugged? The So Cal I tried was a total cannon unplugged, while the SD1 seemed much more like the rear-loaded Jackson strats I've tried out over the years--more solid sounding, but not as resonant.

I think what I need to do is scout out a few more dealers, even if it means a bit of a road trip, so that I can sample a few more of them. I prefer the look of the SD1, but ultimately sound is more important to me than looks...despite my excessive fondness for slime green.

Comment

I A-B'ed the SD-1 vs SoCal when the first batch came out. I had the same impressions - the SoCal was warmer and more acoustic unplugged, the SD-1 had more bite. Plugged in, the Dimarzio's in the SoCal are fantastic, very round and rich sounding. The Duncan's in the SD-1 were brighter, not brittle, but harsher sounding. They both look cool. I say get one of each. BTW, I got the SoCal and love it, and been wanting an SD-1.

Comment

Originally posted by vondran View Post
          I say get one of each.
          That's certainly not what my wife wants to hear.

Thanks for the help, though. I may actually end up getting one of each.

BTW, Maltomario, that blue flame SD-1 looks fantastic! This line is one of the better things that FMIC has done with J/C, and it's too bad they're ending it.

Comment

I've owned 6 total...2 SD1s, 1 SD2 and 3 SoCals. I very much preferred the SD1 over the So Cal. As a matter of fact, I thought the SD2 was the best sounding tonally of the bunch.

I cannot stand the JB, so I always swapped those out immediately. Basically, every other pickup I tried in the SD1 or SD2 sounded great. I did everything but repaint the damn things. Swapped hardware color. Upgraded to OFRs. Added FR brass big blocks. Everything I did to them just made them better.

No matter what pickups I tried in the So Cal, I just could not get a sound I liked. I usually like the ToneZone, but it didn't do it for me in the SoCal. Every other pickup I tried...again, other pickups I usually like...and still nothing. Again, I did everything mod-wise...swapped hardware, OFR, big block, etc. Still, nothing. I don't know what it was with these things, but my ear just never liked them. I loved the colors and the mod-ability though.

As far as difference in the necks...yeah, I noticed some difference as well. There were probably 2 necks that really stood out as being stellar, but the others weren't terrible. Still probably better than any other guitar in its price range.

Comment

I had both. I liked the SD1.

Comment

Well personally, I cant speak for the So Cal models, but I do have 2 new San Dimas Wild Card models, both with SD JB's in them, and they smoke. Love them, the playability, the feel, the tone, its all there.

Comment

If I may ask, what dont you like about the JB's?

Comment

I have a 1st run SD-1 and love it the neck has tons of flame too.
                    Being the 2nd candy red one they made and a dealer rep guitar I'm sure they cherry picked wood for this one.
                    Wide open tone and very full sounding.Rings out very loud unplugged too.
                    Fret work is nothing short of perfect.The fit and finish are perfect as well.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'll add, if you're A-B'ing them at a shop play around with pickup height. It makes such a difference on both guitars.

Comment

I've got one of each. I grew to dislike the stock Dimarzios on the So-Cal, and swapped them for Duncan Custom Custom (bridge) and Pearly Gates (neck) pickups. I love this combination! Plenty of power and warmth, singing leads with nice mids too.

As for the San Dimas, I decided the stock JB was too bright once I updated the So-Cal. I still wanted a JB, and tried a couple of other magnet types in it. I didn't like the JB with an Alnico II though. Right now the JB has an unpolished, unoriented Alnico V. It seems to be keeping the tight bottom end, but has more mids and smoother highs than a stock JB while keeping the brightness.

When it comes to the feeling of each guitar, the necks are close enough that I can't find a significant difference between them. The San Dimas seems to weigh more, but that could be just an illusion created from the solid top as opposed to a routed top.
                        Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by brannon67 View Post
                          If I may ask, what dont you like about the JB's?
                          Believe me...I've tried to like it, but I've never met a JB that sounded good to me in any guitar. It's overly harsh and bright and just sounds terrible to my ear. Roll back the volume, and I don't care for how it 'cleans up.' Tweaking the height of the pup does no good. Tweaking my amp's eq does no good. Some people swear by them, I just swear at them.

I tend to like moderate output pickups more than high output pickups...although the Custom seems to win me over more often than not and it's considered high output as well (and with a higher treble eq rating than the JB, which I don't hear).

Comment

The Dimarzios are great, just a different tone. That Steve Vai tone I call it, because thats who I personally associate those PU's with. The SD's are great also. Its good to have one of each, to get the different tones. If you can afford 2 guitars that is.

Comment

Originally posted by maltomario View Post
                              Actually I have the opposite impression. I own one of each (a 1st batch candy tangerine SoCal and a blue flame last batch San Dimas). The SD1 is much warmer. The SoCal is a lot more edgier. to my ears at least. I attribute this to the Seymour Duncan vs Dimarzio's more than anything else since the neck/body woods are identical.

quality on both of mine are top notch. The only difference is the blue flame has a much nicer grain pattern on the fretboard. Perhaps they cherry picked a better piece of wood for that since it was a limited edition model?

pics of mine:
                              I usually hate flames but that blue flame against the black body is simply AWESOME!!
                              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X